Mayday: Arizona Average Reaches $3 Mark
AAA helps drivers outsmart high gas prices this summer
Arizona gas prices jumped more than 21 cents over the past month, landing the statewide average at $3.004 – the highest price point going into the Memorial Day weekend since 2014.
"AAA forecasts nearly 740,000 Arizona travelers will hit the road for the holiday weekend. Compared to last year, pump prices are 70 cents more expensive and climbing,” said Michelle Donati, spokesperson for AAA Arizona. “We estimate that filling up will cost families at least an additional $200 this summer.”
Mississippi and California hold the lowest and highest average price for the lower 48 states at $2.612 and $3.713 per gallon.
As the summer travel season begins, AAA wants to help motorists outsmart high gas prices with the following fuel saving tips:
- Maintain your vehicle. Change oil, replace filters, keep your tires properly inflated and top off fluids as recommended by your car’s manufacturer to maximize your vehicle’s efficiency. According to the Department of Energy, fixing a vehicle that has failed an emissions test can improve its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent.
- Drive mindfully. On city streets, avoid sudden stops and starts, both of which lower fuel efficiency. On road trips, use cruise control to maintain a steady speed. At highway speeds, slowing down by 5 to 10 mph can boost fuel economy anywhere from 7 to 14 percent, according to the Department of Energy.
- Lighten your load. Every 100 pounds of cargo reduces fuel economy by about 1 percent, so remove unnecessary items from the trunk and elsewhere. Rooftop cargo boxes create a mileage drag that can lower fuel economy from around 2 percent on city streets to 25 percent at Interstate speeds, according to the Department of Energy. As such, remove rooftop cargo boxes when they’re not in use.
- Buy Top Tier. According to AAA testing, gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards for enhanced engine-cleaning detergent additives keeps engines significantly cleaner than other tested fuels. Long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2 to 4 percent, drivability issues, and increased emissions.
- Shop around. Consumers can easily shop around online by using tools such as the free AAA app, which displays the lowest gas price near the user on the home screen.
Arizona metro prices are listed from lowest to highest in the chart below.
|City||Today’s price||Change from last week||Last year’s price|
GasPrices.AAA.com provides comprehensive gas price data and insight to motorists and journalists. The Top Trends page allows visitors to sort data in various ways, including the ability to query gas prices at the state metro level. Each state touts county gas price averages via a state heat map. Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad, and Android. The app can also be used to map a route, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile.